Thursday, March 7, 2013

heard a crow today while snowshoeing

this time I headed out to the Horse Pasture
 
 
I first went around the cattle fence
and got another shot of the fence line
this is why I'm glad the cattle are blocked in
the little area that they are..
otherwise they'd be just walking over
the fence at the far west corner
of their summer field.
 
then I was off to the bush..
the guys were trying to use this trailer
to haul wood in last fall,
when part of it broke away from the 4-wheeler..
it never got moved before Ron broke his leg,
so now it's being used as a visual
for how much snow is out there,
and how fast it's going to melt..
 
I noticed the blackberry bushes
are engulfed in snow this year..
 
 
here's the #1 reason Ron shouldn't snowshoe this year..
 
the snow right now,
is moisture heavy,
so it's hard to walk through,..
and as you do,
the snow piles up on the front tip at times..
and that brings you to your knees
(well me it did, as couple of times haha)
 
it's hard getting upright again
from a kneeling position,
when the snowshoe tips are
pushed farther into the snow
difficult but not impossible..
after getting myself standing,
I was off again..
trail to the Horse Pasture is to the left,
to the right goes up to the Sap Shanty
 
almost to the Horse Pasture
 
looking back,
just after going around the little Horse Pasture area
(to the left)
 
this is the Horse Pasture area..
it's where Grandma and Grandpa used to have horses..
many many years ago..
 
there is a fence,
just a little to the east of the Horse Pasture,
that marks the boundry line
of our property and crown land..
 
it's nice to not see any
snowmobile tracks along the trail this year.
 
 
coming back out of the Horse Pasture area,
I debated which trail to take next..
a)left trail that take me down
to the Cement Pad
b)middle trail goes to the Sap Shanty,
c)the trail to the right,
is the main trail I just came along
 
I chose C.. back down the main trail
 
another decision at the next bend..
do I
a)go left, and head along the main trail,
or
b) go straight,
 and head through the Swamp Trail again?
 
main trail won again
 
back past the blackberry bushes
 
 
 
another great day to be out in the bush..
 
especially since I heard a crow today!
 
that's a great thing to hear,
as crows are not around here during the winter..
they usually arrive back just before spring arrives..
and before the summer birds come back too
 
gray jays,
chickadees,
bluejays,
and ravens
are in abundance in our area
 
but not crows...
 
 
so it's nice to hear that first crow of the season cawing
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment