Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Celebrating my 55th in Gaspe` (Day 5)

When I woke up, Ron was already sitting on the deck.  He took this shot of the sun coming up.. so beautiful!


By 5:10 am, this was my view, as Ron was enjoying his morning coffee, and book, on the deck


Today I turned 55 years old! *happy dance*.. and to celebrate Ron had booked us up on a whale watching tour in Gasp`e.  We had to be there 45 minutes before departure, and it was about 20 minutes from the motel.. so we left around 8:00 am.

Before we left, Ron surprised me with a gift and a card.  The card was from Ron (which was so sweet.. loved it), and the gift was a knife --made by Tyler.  So I now own a "one-of-a-kind" paring knife.  Love it too!  A one-of-a-kind knife to go along with a one-of-a-kind birthday in Gaspe πŸ’–


As we are aproaching the whale watching dock area, I am noticing a lot of white caps in the water.  I first I thought they were seagulls, but on closer inspection it turned out that they were indeed white caps.



 I was so glad that I remembered to put on my Sea-Bands.  Elastic wrist bands with pressure points knobs that line up on your wrists around the area where you find your pulse.  Helps for anxiety and nausea from rocking-movement (ie...sea sickness, car sickness)  These were bought when we were in Alberta (2009) when the mountains had me swaying and nausea was taking over. They are always in my purse.

It turned out, I did not need the wrist bands.. at 9 am, the tour that was supposed to go out at 9:15 was cancelled due to rough waters 😒

The tour guide was honest, and said he would not sell tickets until the captain gave the "ok" to go out.  The winds were at 20 mph with gusts upwards of 50 mph.

This is the boat we were supposed to be on.  I was very thankful that it was cancelled.  It did not look like much fun.. and these were waves in the little safe area where the boats are anchored.. what would have it been like an our or so from shore?

https://youtu.be/6W3E_FMSdx4


Here's a still picture of the boat. I could see me going overboard VERY easily!! Haha


The tour guide said there was room on the next tour (1 pm), and if the waves calmed down, and the tour goes ahead as planned, we could come back and join that tour.  The only difference is the 9:15 one was bi-lingual, and the 1 pm was only in French.

We thought we might as well hang around, since we had nothing else planned and we were really looking forward to seeing whales.

We went into Gaspe to find a grocery store for some "brunch"... and we find this!!

 All of our IGA's in Ontario are now Foodland. As soon as I walked in, it was like stepping back in time to my younger days when I worked in the deli department and I would be the one making pizzas just like these...and using the heat-wrap machine to seal the wrap around them.  Ahhh memories 😁


After buying some groceries, we headed back to the boat launch area.. where we sat for a hour or so watching the whitecaps..


At 1 pm, the captain announced that this whale tour was cancelled too 😭

Like the old saying goes..

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans. πŸ˜„

All is not lost.. they do daily tours so we can go back in the morning and try for the 9:15 tour.

For the rest of the day, we relaxed around the motel.  It is so peaceful there!

Ron went exploring around the area, and I zoned out on my bed.  Look how close my bed was to the door. The bottom picture is my view when I layed down on the pillow.  How gorgeous is that pillow-view!!


Even though we did not get out on any whale watching tours.. I still had a wonderful 55th birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment